Not-So-Big Knitting

I have a short attention span. I know many of you do too, or you would not have all those Unfinished Objects (Exhibit A) lurking about and enormous yarn stashes multiplying behind your backs, each skein hoping fervently to be chosen next (Exhibit B).

I love to learn knitterly things: lace, fair isle, cabling or felting. I am intrigued at the beginning, but once I have learned each new technique, I lose interest and, yes, start something else. This pattern of behavior has led me to seek small projects that I might actually complete.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pleasures of Poultry

Wool Wattles and Wings


I am the proud owner of 3 actual hens, and it was in celebration of their delightful quirkiness that I sought a knitted chicken pattern. Olivia and Sonia have orange coloring and are big, full-feathered girls. Genevieve is black and white, lean and mean, and Queen of the Coop. The little black hen I knitted while reminiscing about Genevieve's younger days, when she was half the size of the other 2 chicks and still afraid of them. 

First  knit the pear-shaped body, stuff it and sew up the opening. Then comes the beak, wattle, wings and tail to knit and sew on. I used beads for eyes.  I stuffed the orangey colored chicken with dry beans so it is chubbier than the others and probably can't fly.





I found the pattern Spring Chicken by Jacqui Turner of Bluesocks Designs on ravelry.com.
Genevieve, Queen of All She Surveys

Extreme Knits

This section of my blog is dedicated to sharing examples of extreme knitting that make me wonder about the designer's sanity. Even if they look kind of cool.






Here we have knitted sweaters for Seattle's TREES! And a light pole or two. Photographer Steve Ringman of the Seattle Times captured Suzanne Tidwell's artistry, or should I say knitistry?



1 comment:

  1. Haha - I LOVE your blog! I am exactly the same way - NEVER finish what I start! I am definitely going to try some of your great ideas. Thanks so much! - HS

    ReplyDelete