Not-So-Big Knitting

I have a short attention span. I know many of you do too, or you would not have all those Unfinished Objects (Exhibit A) lurking about and enormous yarn stashes multiplying behind your backs, each skein hoping fervently to be chosen next (Exhibit B).

I love to learn knitterly things: lace, fair isle, cabling or felting. I am intrigued at the beginning, but once I have learned each new technique, I lose interest and, yes, start something else. This pattern of behavior has led me to seek small projects that I might actually complete.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Still Life With Vegetables

From Peppers to Pumpkins

It's not a Van Gogh, but my felted vegetable collection makes a fine still life, doesn't it? Each little vegetable was satisfying to knit and to felt. I love felting. It's like magic to me. Wool + hot water+ agitation = felt. Presto chango! Just make sure you use wool that is feltable, not superwash. Details below.


felted vegetables in basket

Each vegetable was knitted using pure wool, stuffing it loosely before sewing up the opening. Then I put them in my washing machine on hot with a little bit of detergent. Some of the vegies took longer than others to felt; I just had to keep checking them. Then I rinsed them with cold water and gently squeezed out extra water and/or blotted with a towel. Felted items sometimes have to be held in shape while they dry. The pepper needed clamps, for example. I placed the wet vegetables on heat registers and waited for them to dry. They look better if you give them a shave with a razor or sweater pill remover before serving. Hey, we all need a little grooming now and then.

Zucchini
Eggplant











Knitting
Never Felt Better
Amigurami Knits
Two excellent books were the main sources for the patterns. The eggplant, squashes,  pepper and carrots were from the book "Knitting Never Felt Better" by Nicky Epstein. She is a knitting genius and has many inspiring books. The miniature pumpkin was knitted using the tomato instructions from Hansi Singh's lovely and ambitious volume "Amigurami Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits". No, I will not be attempting her praying mantis pattern anytime soon. 

Extreme Knits

This section of my blog is dedicated to sharing examples of extreme knitting that make me wonder about the designer's sanity. Don't these people have anything else to do? Like eat and sleep?
Knitted Chair


Yes folks, it's a knitted CHAIR! Someone not only conceived of the idea, but then whipped out the jumbo needles and cranked this out. Using off-white yarn, no less.  Please be seated.











No comments:

Post a Comment